Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving - Day 12

Days of Thanksgiving
I've always loved these ideas that extend through multiple days to celebrate the holiday seasons (did you catch my 13 Days of Halloween posts?). This year I found ideas for the 12 Days of Thanksgiving and I couldn't resist sharing them with you. The ideas in this post came from a very vintage magazine called Copycat Press from 1990 (which just doesn't feel like it should be labeled very vintage, but I suppose that's because I am very vintage myself!) 

The ideas are centered around using the poetry from It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky. I didn't have this book in our Club library, but I did find a few versions of read alouds online. Here's the one that includes the entire book (which is helpful since you'll use different poems each day).



Twelfth Day of Thanksgiving
No matter how much we look forward to smelling the turkey roasting in the oven and eating turkey at holiday time, just a few days of eating turkey leftovers leaves your taste buds hoping for a change in the menu. See how inventive your members can be. Read aloud the poem "Leftovers." Then challenge the kids to create an unusual turkey leftover dish. Hold a Turkey Leftover Contest. See who can come up with the most unusual turkey concoction. Perhaps you could have the group vote on the recipe they would most like to try and let the winner try their hand at preparing their concoction with the kitchen staff to share with other members.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Girl Scout Fun Ideas - February Edition

I've worked with Girl Scouts for nearly two decades (it really doesn't feel like that long!) and one of the things I loved mo...