Thursday, November 14, 2019

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving - Day 3

Days of Thanksgiving
I've always loved these ideas that extend through multiple days to celebrate the holiday seasons (did you catch my 13 Days of Halloween posts?). This year I found ideas for the 12 Days of Thanksgiving and I couldn't resist sharing them with you. The ideas in this post came from a very vintage magazine called Copycat Press from 1990 (which just doesn't feel like it should be labeled very vintage, but I suppose that's because I am very vintage myself!) 

The ideas are centered around using the poetry from It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky. I didn't have this book in our Club library, but I did find a few versions of read alouds online. Here's the one that includes the entire book (which is helpful since you'll use different poems each day).


Third Day of Thanksgiving
Read your group the poem "The Middle of November." You can't help but smile when you think of all of the turkey projects you've share with your kids over the years! This year try a word association game. Have kids fold a large sheet of paper into sixths. Ask them to number each square as shown.

Give the group a key word for each square.
1. Thanksgiving
2. family
3. turkey
4. Pilgrim
5. Native American
6. thankful

Then have kids use the squares to write in or draw a picture of things they associate with the key words.

After kids are finished writing/illustrating, invite them to go around the room and share some of their ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Girl Scout Fun Ideas - February Edition

I've worked with Girl Scouts for nearly two decades (it really doesn't feel like that long!) and one of the things I loved mo...