Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving - Day 7

Days of Thanksgiving
I've always loved these ideas that extend through multiple days to celebrate the holiday seasons (did you catch my 13 Days of Halloween posts?). This year I found ideas for the 12 Days of Thanksgiving and I couldn't resist sharing them with you. The ideas in this post came from a very vintage magazine called Copycat Press from 1990 (which just doesn't feel like it should be labeled very vintage, but I suppose that's because I am very vintage myself!) 

The ideas are centered around using the poetry from It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky. I didn't have this book in our Club library, but I did find a few versions of read alouds online. Here's the one that includes the entire book (which is helpful since you'll use different poems each day).


Seventh Day of Thanksgiving
Read the poem "When Daddy Carves the Turkey." Ask members to write their own directions for the best way to carve a turkey... step by step. Then have each one explain his or her carving technique to the group. After kids have gotten their techniques perfected, invite them to record their best turkey carving technique and share it with families.

To help kids have a format to complete this activity I have created the How to Carve a Turkey Printable. You're welcome to use it with this poem or any other activity.


Click on the image above to be taken to a larger image of the poem. I created this printable with graphics purchased from EduClips (<-- and there's the link in case you want to purchase some of her awesome work). You're welcome to use this in your Clubs, classrooms, or any kind of after school program. If you share it with others, please share my blog as well. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girl Scout Fun Ideas - February Edition

I've worked with Girl Scouts for nearly two decades (it really doesn't feel like that long!) and one of the things I loved mo...