Friday, November 22, 2019

Twelve Days of Thanksgiving - Day 9

Days of Thanksgiving
I've always loved these ideas that extend through multiple days to celebrate the holiday seasons (did you catch my 13 Days of Halloween posts?). This year I found ideas for the 12 Days of Thanksgiving and I couldn't resist sharing them with you. The ideas in this post came from a very vintage magazine called Copycat Press from 1990 (which just doesn't feel like it should be labeled very vintage, but I suppose that's because I am very vintage myself!) 

The ideas are centered around using the poetry from It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky. I didn't have this book in our Club library, but I did find a few versions of read alouds online. Here's the one that includes the entire book (which is helpful since you'll use different poems each day).


Ninth Day of Thanksgiving
Anyone who is a true blue football fan (or who knows one) will appreciate the poem "Daddy's Football Game." Read it to the group and discuss words or phrases that are associated with the game of football. Then ask members to create an acrostic poem for the word football. Provide a helping hand by choosing one of the words from the sample below to get them started. Children may also use the names of sports teams such as Falcons, Oilers, Bears, or Lions.

After members have completed their football poems, try a game of flag football to give a chance to run and provide some physical activity. If you would like a printable base for their poems, I have created the one below for use in our Club. Enjoy!
Click on the image above to be taken to a larger image of the poem base. I created this printable with graphics purchased from EduClips (<-- and there's the link in case you want to purchase some of her awesome work). You're welcome to use this in your Clubs, classrooms, or any kind of after school program. If you share it with others, please share my blog as well. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girl Scout Fun Ideas - February Edition

I've worked with Girl Scouts for nearly two decades (it really doesn't feel like that long!) and one of the things I loved mo...