Monday, January 20, 2020

Martin Luther King Jr Day 2020

We enjoyed an all day program at the Club this week for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I love all day program days because I feel like it really gives us a chance to bring in some cool extras that we don't get to provide for the everyday after school program.
This year we celebrated with having Miss Huckleberry read with the kids to emphasize the importance of learning and education and to also share her experience of becoming Miss Huckleberry (a local contest that is a step toward Miss Oklahoma).

Adam from the Cherokee Area Council of Boy Scouts visited (side note: if your Club isn't having visits your local Scouting groups, you're missing a great opportunity) and taught our kids about American symbols, flag etiquette, and basic citizenship. I have to give a shout out to Adam - he always has come and provided great programming for our long days and he's a true Boy Scout - he always leaves our place better than he found it.

I wanted to be sure that we also talked about the famous I Have a Dream speech made by Dr. King and what it actually meant. We started out by learning who Dr. King was and I pulled in one of my favorite video presenters - Kid President.

We then watched a short video of the actual speech and we talked about what our dreams are - our dreams for our own lives, our community, and our world. We prepared the space for this discussion by cutting out three large clouds from butcher paper and labeling each one My Life, My Community, and My World. I had the kids each write at least one dream for each category on sticky notes and then put their sticky notes on the appropriate cloud. Then we shared some of the dreams we all had.

After the I Have a Dream activity, there was a bit of time left in the rotation period so we played the Human Knot game as a lesson in cooperation. The kids loved it!

Of course, the day would not be complete without a service project or two. We had some great volunteers from our local Junior College come in and work on creating hundreds of boxes for our annual Love the Club chocolate covered strawberry fundraiser. Some of our kids couldn't resist jumping in and helping with the boxes too!

Another great project we did was a Valentine for a Vet. We made valentine cards to send to a very special vet (but I'll post about that later this week). Each one of our kiddos made a valentine card to share.

All in all, it was a great day - full of community building, service, and learning disguised as fun (my favorite kind!).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Girl Scout Fun Ideas - February Edition

I've worked with Girl Scouts for nearly two decades (it really doesn't feel like that long!) and one of the things I loved mo...